Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrule Historia - Nintendo reveals the Zelda timeline
Nintendo recently released Hyrule Historia, a 25th Anniversary Zelda Artbook, in Japan. Among the art covering the series is also the official reveal of the timeline. This is what has led to countless hours of speculation and debate. And this is the one to end it all.

Translation:

[QUOTE]Branch 1: Link is defeated by Ganon in OoT.
Branch 2: Link comes back from the future in OoT and tells Zelda what
FINALLY, THANK YOU NINTENDO!

FSA does seem like its out of place, I would have figured it would have been in the Adult timeline since I was under the impression it took place after Windwaker...

We always kind of figured something bad had to have happen to Link for Windwaker to happen. :/
[Image: MedaForce.png]
I'm wondering if that image is in the wrong order, other sites have it set up different:

One version:
Ancient Tales: Skyward Sword → The Minish Cap → Four Swords → Ocarina of Time
Branch 1 - Classic Tales: A Link to the Past → Oracles → Link’s Awakening → The Legend of Zelda → The Adventure of Link
Branch 2 - Child Tales: Majora’s Mask → Twilight Princess → Four Swords Adventures
Branch 3 - Adult Tales: The Wind Waker → Phantom Hourglass → Spirit Tracks

Other version:
Skyward Sword → The Minish Cap → Four Swords → Ocarina of Time
Branch 1 - Majora’s Mask → Twilight Princess → Four Swords Adventures
Branch 2 - A Link to the Past → Oracles → Link’s Awakening → The Legend of Zelda → The Adventure of Link
Branch 3 - The Wind Waker → Phantom Hourglass → Spirit Tracks
Four Swords Adventures REALLY messes things up. It has elements that should lead into LttP like Ganon first finding the Trident, it has elements that seem to place it sometime after Twilight Princess like the Dark Mirror, it has a Ganon origin story, AND it has Vaati being released from his seal. This blasted thing really doesn't fit anywhere. I personally think the game should be declared non-canon, since Nintendo obviously had no idea how this game could fit anywhere in the timeline.

Other problems like finding the Master Sword 3 separate times seems to be taken care of. And I'm still a little confused about the entire first 4 games in the series taking place in a timeline where the hero loses. It seems very odd to me.
--If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? --

--You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.--
Cap Wrote:FINALLY, THANK YOU NINTENDO!

FSA does seem like its out of place, I would have figured it would have been in the Adult timeline since I was under the impression it took place after Windwaker...

We always kind of figured something bad had to have happen to Link for Windwaker to happen. :/

Nothing bad happened to Link in that timeline, he simply ceases to exist when sent back in time by Zelda. It's the classic games that are given birth if OoT Link fails.

[quote=Cap]I'm wondering if that image is in the wrong order, other sites have it set up different:

One version:
Ancient Tales: Skyward Sword → The Minish Cap → Four Swords → Ocarina of Time
Branch 1 - Classic Tales: A Link to the Past → Oracles → Link
ClaudeLv250 Wrote:The only thing different about what you listed is the order of the branches and not the games itself. It doesn't matter how you list the splits as long as the games are in the correct order (also, you listed one branch twice).

Sorry copy pasted the same list twice.
I was just trying to figure out which branch description went with which timeline.
OnslaughtRM Wrote:Four Swords Adventures REALLY messes things up. It has elements that should lead into LttP like Ganon first finding the Trident, it has elements that seem to place it sometime after Twilight Princess like the Dark Mirror, it has a Ganon origin story, AND it has Vaati being released from his seal. This blasted thing really doesn't fit anywhere. I personally think the game should be declared non-canon, since Nintendo obviously had no idea how this game could fit anywhere in the timeline.

Other problems like finding the Master Sword 3 separate times seems to be taken care of. And I'm still a little confused about the entire first 4 games in the series taking place in a timeline where the hero loses. It seems very odd to me.

Honestly, I think they put FSA after TP just so there could be another Ganon. Without FSA, Ganondorf is canonically dead in the latest (chronologically) game of 2 out of 3 timelines. This way, they won't have to find another way to resurrected him in a game post-TP.

Of course, this totally doesn't explain why LttP Ganon has the trident.
ClaudeLv250 Wrote:Honestly, I think they put FSA after TP just so there could be another Ganon. Without FSA, Ganondorf is canonically dead in the latest (chronologically) game of 2 out of 3 timelines. This way, they won't have to find another way to resurrected him in a game post-TP.

Of course, this totally doesn't explain why LttP Ganon has the trident.

What? Ganon "dies" at the end of practically every series. The only ending he's explicitly sealed away is Ocarina of Time. LttP has him "dead", the Oracles games ressurect him before killing him again, then he somehow comes back again in Legend of Zelda and is killed AGAIN, and his resurrection is threatened again in Adventures of Link. In the failed timeline alone, that's dead three times and resurrected twice. To be fair, it would make sense that this version of Ganon came back so many times. Since this is the failure timeline, we can assume that Ganon is at his most powerful here.

If we assume that he was really killed in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess, I guess we could use a device like FSA to bring him back, but I think that gamers are generally okay with assuming that Ganondorf is fully capable of returning from wherever he goes when he's defeated. Even is he is less powerful in the Child or Adult Timelines than in the Failure Timeline.
--If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? --

--You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.--
All I'm saying is that a game post-FSA doesn't have to explain how Ganon is alive again since he's not dead, and FSA did the deed of reincarnating him after TP.

And Wind Waker Ganondorf is definitely not dead. It just takes one stupid person to pull the sword out (another Link?) and he'll be back.
This seems to be what was translated right out of the book:
[Image: zeldatimeline-1324746844.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nintendo Switch info and rumor thread ClaudeLv250 9 6,667 10-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Last Post: Cap
  FREE Kid Icarus AR cards @ Club Nintendo Kirby_Z 5 4,319 04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
  Club Nintendo makeover - buy digital games with your coins (Mario Party 2) ClaudeLv250 9 6,477 02-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Last Post: ClaudeLv250
  Nintendo investor's meeting - the future of Wii U and 3DS ClaudeLv250 2 2,816 01-28-2012, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Agora
  Wii U - Tokyo Street Demo/Live from the Engadget CES Stage: an interview with Nintendo Kirby_Z 2 3,083 01-14-2012, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Kirby_Z
  Zelda Four Swords available Kirby_Z 3 3,068 10-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Agora
  Nintendo: 'No plans' to localize Xenoblade, Last Story, or Pandora's Tower Cap 9 6,690 07-25-2011, 10:40 PM