Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ZeldaClassic
Do you like Zelda? Do you like 2D overhead Zelda?

ZeldaClassic was brought to my attention by Onslaught a few years ago. It's a project that started off as a faithful recreation of the original Legend of Zelda that could be played on PC, but it evolved into what you can call a Zelda-maker; basically, think RPG maker but for Zelda. You can make your own quests complete with scripting and custom tiles, or you can play quests others have made. There's a tight community that's revolved around this program for years so there's plenty of assets and fangames to try.

ZC got back on my radar due to the new release of version 2.50, and I've finally given it the whirl I should have back when I first heard of it. I have no intention of making my own quest but I am taking a few custom quests for a spin and I like what I've played. A couple of quests worth looking into:

Quote:The Hero of Dreams, my first quest on Zelda Classic. I have been working on the game since January 2004. This epic quest is filled with so many things to do. I put a lot of side quests in the quest so it can have a feel to most Zelda games. The storyline fits into the major storyline and I do try to connect them all together. I spent a lot of time on the storyline and I hope you like it. This is what you can expect from the quest:

-Travel through huge Forests, islands, caves, deserts, graveyards, mountains, towns, as well as Dreams.
-Come face to face to some of the old Hero's of Hyrule.
-Meet different cultures and races of Hyrule.
-Fight some original custom bosses like Wolfblin and King Dodongo.
-Play some great mini games like bow and arrow target practice and rafting.
-See some original puzzles never seen in ZC.
-Huge Dungeons with different themes.
-and More!

Quote:Over 2 years in the making, this ambitious duo quest by DarkFlameWolf and Peteo has finally been completed. Lost Isle takes you on a journey to a deserted island where the formal inhabitants have suffered a catastrophic event and all that remains is the dead and the decaying. A sinister story unfolds the further you explore the island and evil secrets are revealed as you get closer and closer to the true evil that is conspiring against you. You will travel through ghost towns, graveyards, swamps, forests, volcanos, wastelands and canyons in your search for answers and a way off this haunted island. With one gigantic world to explore, five huge dungeons, an entire island-wide cave system, many misc. dungeons to explore, optional triforce pieces, hidden secrets and lurking ghosts; this adventure will test your very limits as an explorer. Only the true intrepid players will see the quest through and claim the much -deserved ending.

Quote:Stranded is a large ZC 2.50 quest which uses the basic tileset available with ZC 2.50 as well as this version's new items, enemies and possibilities. I recommend using the RC4 release to play it (it hasn't been tested on earlier releases).

Features
* A long journey consisting of a minimum of 20+ hours of gameplay
* 20+ dungeons in total (not saying how many exactly to keep some element of surprise)
* 3 different overworld areas * 30+ midis * 200+ text strings
* Custom enemies
* Challenging but not frustratingly hard difficulty
* A balanced mix of fighting and puzzle solving
* Many secrets to unravel

And my personal spotlight:

I've put about an a hour or two into Souls of Wisdom and I'm really enjoying it. It's promised to be massive both in its overworlds and the amount of dungeons. There's adecent mix of new and old in here too. The game is a reimagining of the very first Zelda, making more direct connections to the games that have come after it (or before it in the timeline). What I do like so far is that the game gives you a decent chunk of the overworld to explore. I've gotten the boomerang from the first dungeon and that opened up even more areas, not to mention that you have access to the Dark World almost immediately. Looks like it might be living up to its promises of scope and content (about 20+ hours worth, it says), and there's even a sequel already in the works.
How to play:

ZC is very vague in how you go about things, so I'll just lay it out here. You download the games from the linked pages and they should be .qst files (or in an archive). ZC itself has about 3 launchers - zlaunch-w (yellow icon) lets you choose settings like resolution and then you can launch the player or the editor from there. Zquest-w (blue icon) is the editor, this is how you make or edit quests. Zelda-w (green) is the quest player. When you start that up you should use the dropdown list to bind the keys to however you like. When you get to the file screen, make a new game and enter your name...press whatever is assigned to the "A" button which should let you select the quest (.qst file) you want to play and it will begin. If you don't choose a custom quest then you will play Zelda in its original glory.
Going to give this a try this weekend.
Looks really cool.
[Image: MedaForce.png]