Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Farce Ocean 3: Wings to Another Time
[FONT=&amp]Introduction:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] I am a huge Star Ocean fan, to say the least, and have been ever since I played Star Ocean: The Second Story in 1999. I like to write, fan fiction included. I?ve been trying for ages to write the right Star Ocean piece. I actually have a few unfinished things sitting around (like Star Ocean Zero) that may see the light of day. But here we are with ?Farce Ocean 3.?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]To get a bit more on topic, I originally envisioned Farce Ocean as a series of straight parodies of each Star Ocean. That idea evolved into alternate takes on their narratives. You will see what I mean when the story really gets started.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Summary:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] If anyone knows me, they know that I am not a huge fan of Sophia Esteed. Instead of writing a bash fic like a lot of people would, I decided to explore the character from another viewpoint. This is an ode to Star Ocean 3, an alternate novelization, and an attempt to flesh out and give Sophia more of a role in the storyline. This is a story that adds a layer of uncertainty to the tale we all know, peppered with a bit of my personality. I hope you enjoy the ride back to SD 772.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Disclaimer:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] Star Ocean and all related properties belong to tri-Ace/Square Enix. I guess the only thing I own here is...myself?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]NOTE:[/FONT][FONT=&amp] To those that have read this before, this is a NEW prologue. What used to be the prologue is now the first chapter.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Farce Ocean 3[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Wings to Another Time[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]by ClaudeLv250[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Prologue ? Drifting in the Ocean[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I had never felt so alone in my life.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Painted before me was an endless sea of stars glittering against the depths of space, and the only thing protecting me from the cold vacuum was the glass-like canopy of the escape pod. The inner workings of the control pad sprawled before my fingerstips was far beyond my understanding, but the systems were user-friendly enough.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]An Earth-like planet slid into view, its atmosphere slathered in maroon hues and one side of its spherical body cresting with the luminous rays of the sun. The beautiful sight put me at ease...until the auto-pilot announced that it was taking me down for a landing. I wasn?t surprised, of course. This destination was inevitable. But there?s no easy way to prepare someone for their first landing from space.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I gripped the seat and tightly shut my eyes as the ship broke the atmosphere. It wasn?t as bumpy as I expected, so I gathered some courage to open my eyes again only to find that my view was obscured anyway by the entry into the atmosphere. Once the ship plowed through the cloud barrier, my sight was flooded with the green of a forest, and it was approaching fast![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My pod slammed into the ground and only slid a short distance. That wasn?t anywhere near as bad as I thought it was going to be. I grinned and almost laughed...that was sort of fun![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I pulled my backpack from between my legs and slide it onto my back. The canopy lifted and I took a deep breath before leaping out of the pod. The short grass crunched beneath my feet. A thin, pretty minute layer of frost was trying to form. I blew into the air and watched the smoke that was my breath dissipate. Before me stood a forest and not far behind where the pod had landed was a ridge overlooking another expanse of trees. The sky was overcast; a wall of grey smothered any signs of the sun. Mountains in the distance kissed the cloudy skies. There was nothing unusual about the environment ? in fact, it could have been on Earth ? and yet, I knew this was an alien planet. I had landed on Vanguard III.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I turned around and examined the remains of the escape pod. It was trashed for sure. It was only supposed to get me here safely, so I guess it had done its job. A sound pierced my ears, like a plane dropping in altitude but not quite as harsh. I turned and looked up to see another escape pod burst through the clouds. The blue jetfire from its back-thrusters cut out and it plummeted into the forest. The ground quaked and I saw debris fly into the air. That was probably Fayt?s pod, and it hadn?t landed too far from here![/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Following what could be considered a trail, I sprinted through the forest in the direction of the crashed pod. I found an escape pod identical to my own perched atop a few downed trees. That was odd...this definitely didn?t look like the same crash site as Fayt?s pod in the game, but this was real life so I just accepted that there were more details than what sprites and polygons could convey.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]As the pod?s canopy lifted, I eagerly awaited for Fayt to emerge. What I saw first were the long locks of a brunette, before my sight locked with the teal eyes of...[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]?Sophia!??[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]She had abandoned the hair-in-a-bun look, but it was still the one and only Sophia Esteed. ?Claude? You made it here too!?[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I grabbed her hand without realizing it and helped her navigate down from atop the trees. You may be wondering about what she meant by ?too,? and how we could have possibly crossed paths beforehand. For that, I would have to go a ways back. You see...[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]?Is Fayt here too?? Sophia asked suddenly, cutting through my thoughts.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]I looked into the gray sky. No more pods had emerged, and I realized what that really meant. Only one person was supposed to land on Vanguard III. Taking myself out of the equation as the true anomaly in this situation, that meant that that one person had been Sophia instead of Fayt. Somehow, my presence had disrupted the natural chain of events. We were in deep.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]?I think we?re the only ones,? I admitted reluctantly, my voice nearly a whisper. Sophia?s eyes widened with fear. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]But before I can even begin to wade through the mess I had landed into, there?s time for just a bit of reflection. They say that before you know where you?re going, you have to know where you?ve been. So, about how I met Sophia...to begin, I?d have to go a ways back, like I said before...to the moment before I was pulled out of the life I knew and dumped into another universe at the random will of a super-being, like a fish out of water, ironically drifting through the star ocean...[/FONT]